Health and Beauty by Tamsen Fadal
Celebrate Love A Fresh New Way
We recently conducted a poll among the women we work with at The Love Consultants to find out what women really want when it comes to love.
Here are some creative ideas to show your sweetheart how much you care:
- Her own personal "Iron Chef." A meal prepared by a date or spouse is often desired, but seldom done. This request also falls under the most popular trend we’ve identified of "doing something simple but special for a loved one." Just remember, if you are going to partake in the red wine, it is key to "whiten up" afterwards. You can even top off your meal with an espresso, but make sure you stay true to your pearls. It’s so passé to spend a lot of money on this process; instead make sure you brush for at least 4 minutes a day to keep the plaque at bay, and don’t forget to replace your toothbrush every 3 months: Proper Brushing/Flossing.
- Something original and heartfelt. The number one reply was for a gift from the heart, not bought in a store. Everything from a note left on the pillow explaining how much you are desired to a scrapbook of special events spent together. The key here is that it should be simple, honest and above all…original.
- Exotic dark chocolates. These are always a favorite, but steer clear of the dusty old sampler boxes and seek out the truly unique and delectable varieties. Women were unanimous in their delight over something sweet and decadent. Remember if you are going to eat sugar, Sunstar GUM’s unique dual-action tongue cleaner helps fight bad breath and is a great tool to add to your daily routine. Sunstar GUM also makes PerioBalancea daily dental probiotic mint-flavored lozenge that helps balance bacteria in your mouth, and fights plaque build-up and bad breath.
- Spa days. A little pampering is at the top of every woman’s list. If you do your homework, you can often find good deals on spa packages and don’t forget to scour the coupon sites for even deeper discounts. Schedule something late in the morning or early in the afternoon so there will be plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day together.
- Surprise get-aways. A ticket to anywhere with that special someone received a hefty 35% of the votes. Gain extra points for having every second of the trip planned in advance; the women polled expressed major attraction for a man who is willing to take charge. Throw a few travel toothbrushes in your bag and you will be ready to go just about anywhere he has in mind.
How to Stay in your Best Shape Possible
Here are five quick ways to ensure that you treat your body right, without depriving yourself in the meantime.
1. GO SHOPPING
I’m not talking about a trip to Macy’s. I’m talking about a trip down the aisles of your friendly neighborhood grocery store. You can’t start a healthy diet without stocking up your fridge. Spend time in the fresh produce department (but skip the spuds and load up on greens). Buy plenty of water (soda is a no-no; you’d be surprised how many of your daily calories come from soda even diet varieties). Pack plenty of protein into your cart (like chicken, fish, beans and low-fat cheeses). Remember also to brush after every meal; it will do wonders for your breath and appetite. Plus, GUM has a great selection of interdental brushes to keep you fresh between brushes if you are out and about.
2. POST IT
It may sound crazy, but grab a stack of Post-it notes to motivate you until you get into a routine. Put them all over your apartment, in your calendar, on your bathroom mirror, and on the fridge. Make sure you can’t miss them. Write yourself messages like: "Get Moving," "Go to the Gym" and "Eat Right." It really works!
3. LACE UP
The best thing you can do to make sure you feel good this summer in a sleek little two-piece is to make sure you get moving. It doesn’t matter if you walk or run. Lace up your sneakers and go! It’s even better if you recruit a friend to join you. That way, on days when you’re less motivated, she can serve as your conscience!
4. DON’T CLEAN YOUR PLATE
Or, if you do, make sure your plate wasn’t overflowing with food. Be sure you have plenty of protein at every meal, lots of greens and limited carbs. Protein can cause your breath to be a little ripe, so check out these amazing products to get your tongue super clean in case your honey wants a little kiss before bedtime.
5. TREAT YOURSELF
That’s right! It’s okay to have a treat every day, but you must limit yourself. Don’t eat an entire candy bar; instead, opt for one mini Hershey bar (and YES, you must stop at one!). If chocolate is not your thing, have a few marshmallows to satisfy that sweet tooth. The thing about sweets is the more you eat, the more you crave; once you start curbing your cravings, they’ll disappear. We all know sugar can take a toll on your teeth, so brush away any sign of it with the GUM Deep Clean Toothbrush.